Valentine’s Snack Cakes
By Melissa’s Munches
Ingredients for 6-8 Cakes:
- Your favorite white cake recipe or mix
- 6 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup marshmallow creme/fluff
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 24 ounces vanilla candy melts
- 3 ounces white chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 17x11 inch jellyroll pan with parchment paper.
- Divide cake batter between two bowls and tint one pink with red food gel. (This is optional). Dollop and swirl the two colors evenly onto the pan.
- Bake until the top just begins to brown, about 10 minutes.
Make the filling:
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat 4 tablespoons shortening, vanilla, and marshmallow until fully combined. Add powdered sugar and milk and beat on medium until filling is light and fluffy.
- Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, lightly mark the shapes close together on the cake. Once completely cool, cut out hearts using a knife. You should be able to get 12-15 hearts.
- Spread filling onto half of the hearts and then top with the remaining hearts. Set aside
Make the coating:
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt candy melts and 2 tablespoons shortening, stopping to mix every 30 seconds. Be very careful not to overheat.
- Roll or dip cakes in the mixture, and then spoon some more over the tops until completely covered. Place cake back on waxed paper.
- Repeat with all the cakes, then drizzle with white chocolate.
Valentine’s Tissue Cozies
Idea by StichCraft
- Cotton fabric for outside of tissue cozy
- Cotton fabric for inside of tissue cozy and the trim along the edges of the cozy’s opening
- Mini package of tissues (measurements below are based on Kleenex or CVS brand)
- Needle and thread, or sewing machine
- Follow the directions in the image above, or go here for the written instructions.
[See more DIY and crafts I’ve posted]